Friday, April 26, 2013

Baby You Can Drive My Car


Good Afternoon my crafty peeps! How has your day been so far? Mine has consisted of dishes, laundry, a little crafty clean up, and I actually coloured my hair too! yaaaay!! It's been sooooo long that I think my coloured hair had just turned into "tips" lol That's what happens when you're a hairdresser...it's like the mechanic with the crappy car...we always do our own hair last :)

Anyhoo...I wanted to show you a layout I made last night. I started it quite late last night, because I actually wasn't planning on getting any time in my crafty space. As I was watching Grey's Anatomy last night however, I stumbled upon a fabulous Ink Wash tutorial by Kim Watson, and I was inspired to create this! You can check out the tutorial HERE.

I have to apologize for the lack of quality in the photos of my layout though...it's overcast here, so that's strike one for getting a nice shot, but I always find it harder to photograph pictures that have bendy paper! This paper is really bendy from the Ink Wash technique...If anyone has any amazing tips on A: straightening out your paper after you get it wet, or B: taking better pictures when there is no natural light, please! let me know!

I used my Heidi Swapp Color Shine mists and a bottle of Lemon Zest Dylusions mist for this technique and at first I wasn't crazy about it. It came out too shiny for my liking...so I grabbed my trusty wet paper towel and some Claudine Hellmuth white paint and drabbed it down a bit with the paint. I love how it took away a lot of the shine, but still left the brightness of the colors!


This picture is at least 5 years old now, and I have to admit that unless they're not printed yet, or in a photo album, I'm kind of hard on pictures and this one is no exception...sadly it has a bend right in his face, but I still really wanted to scrap this picture because it's just so cute! I can't believe my oldest is 7 1/2 already! Time flies like crazy!


That little turquoise chevron arrow was made with an embossing pen, some ZING! embossing powder and a Studio Calico stencil. I hate to admit that I've had my embossing pen for probably 4 years and this is the first time I've used it, but I must say for stencils, I'm LOVING IT!



My title was made with Heidi Swapp's Color Magic Alphabet and some of those yummy Hero Arts Neon inks! I think those are my new fav inks at the moment! For the word "Car" I used Thickers DIY alphabet. It's meant for sticking glitter and microbeads and flocking and such to it. I actually just recently downsized my scrap room considerably and got rid of all of my glitter and flocking, and I knew that they didn't work for heat embossing because the foam would melt, but I thought it couldn't hurt to just use the embossing powder and not heat set it right?! It totally worked out and I'm loving the flocked look it gives my letters!! 


Well that's all for now! I have to go pick up the one who is in this picture from GRADE 2 now!! lol It always shocks me to look back at pictures and see how tiny they used to be!! Makes me a little sad!

Blessings,

Sarah

Supplies Used: Patterned Paper: Amy Tangerine. Studio Calico: PL 4x6 Card, alphabet, stamp, wood veneer, mister huey's and stencil. Cosmo Cricket: tags. American Crafts: Stamp, Alphabet, and embossing powder. Ink: Hero Arts, and Versa Mark. Heidi Swapp: Colour Shine Mist, and Alphabet. Dylusions Mist. Claudine Hellmuth: paint. Jillibean Soup: Twine. Flair: The paper Bakery. Enamel Dots: My Mind's Eye. Janome: sewing machine. Gutermann: Thread. Other: Drywall Tape.



5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is sooooooooooo fun!! LOVING that photo, the colors and the title is PERFECT!!!

Ashley Horton said...

Totally FAB page Sarah!! Love the Color Wash technique...I will have to check that out, because I love Kim Watson!! :) The Amy Tan paper is so fun for your background and I love the mix of alphas in your title and the cute Paper Bakery Flair!! :) I hate for my pages to curl up too, but when I do a lot of misting or Modeling Paste, I try to add some rolled up Scotch tape to the backside of my page and I tape it to my Martha Stewart Scoreboard to take my photos. It still doesn't make it perfectly flat or straight, but it does help out some.

Andie said...

Just commented on this in the Nerds gallery, but thought I'd stop here to see if you revealed where those "Baby" letter came from and you do! Awesome, love them, gotta get me some! And I'm just like you, have had my embossing pen for years and never used it!! Put it out the other day with the intent to try it with my own handwriting (think Heidi Swapp) - we'll see how that works out! Love your layout, great work!!!

Lynnda said...

So fun and fabulous!!! Your layout is stunning Sarah!! Cute photo too...hugs....x

jacque4u2c said...

I just love this! It makes me giggle! Fantastic job!