Monday, March 28, 2011

My Favourite Pastime

I saw this challenge on the These are a Few of my Favourite Things challenge blog and I immediately thought of these pictures I took when I was making bread in my trusty Kitchenaid mixer and I had a bit of a mishap! The challenge is to scrap your favourite pastime. I love making fresh bread! There’s nothing like it. And I also get great satisfaction out of creating something with my hands (if you don’t count the mixer! lol) but also knowing that I’m making healthy food for my family. I never thought I’d be one to make bread from scratch, or anything else for that matter, but I love baking! I never thought I’d say that either! When I started going out with my husband I told him that if he was looking for a housewife he’d better look somewhere else! hehehe! Little did I know that 10 years later I’d be a stay at home mom to 3 amazing boys and be glad to be able to do it! Anyway, on with the layout…I’ll explain the pictures first, you’ll get a kick out of them. My mixer can easily knead 2 loaves of whole wheat bread, probably 3, but NOT 4! I found that out the hard way! I was being lazy and wanted to make 4 loaves of bread but I didn’t want to have to knead it by hand, so I thought I’d try it out in my mixer and see if it could handle it…it couldn’t. It overheated and shut itself off…then Kieran who was a newborn at the time, started crying, so I went to go nurse him and forgot all about the bread…until I went back into the kitchen after Kieran was fed…and this was what I found...




And here are some close ups…

010

I cut the title out with Tim Holtz’s Vintage Market alphabet and perked up the color with Barn Door Distress Ink, then I covered it all with Glossy Accents so I could make it look all purdy like my Kitchenaid (I’m a little obsessed with that color of red)

022

I used the Tim Holtz on the edge scallops for the bottom two scallops. You can’t see it that well, but I cut the middle scallop out of tin foil.

026

I cut the bracket out of a piece of cardboard (which btw, is super hard to cut with a craft knife that is semi-dull!), and I painted it with Old Paper Distress Crackle Paint, then used Vintage Photo Distress Ink over it to give it a more antique look.

Products Used: Patterned Paper: LYB, Basic Grey, Cosmo Cricket, Stampin Up, MME,  and October Afternoon. Bazzil cardstock, Tim Holtz Distress Inks, Distress Crackle Paint, and Dies. Acrylic Paint,  Ranger Glossy Accents, Quickutz Dies,  Fiskars punch, and Basic Grey letter stickers.

I’m also entering this into a few other challenges: I used sketch 147  from Creative ScrappersFrosted Designs Fabulous Friday Challenge was to reuse or repurpose something from around the house, and I used tin foil and cardboard that was kickin around here. I’m going to add it to the  Do You Stack Up Shine On Challenge. and finally, I’m adding it to the Sketches in Thyme open sketch challenge.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to check out my blog! I appreciate all the comments and kind words from all of you!

23 comments:

Hanneke said...

Love this!!! Love the paper you used just perfect!! Thanks for playing with us at Fave Things!!

WencheP said...

This is fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Eli said...

I love fresh bread too. Thank you for playing with the Frosted Design challenge.

Debbie said...

There is nothing better then fresh baked bread!!! Love the theme of your layout! Thanks for playing along with us at Fave Things!

Hill Top Creations said...

Wow can just see it all now. So glad you took pictures of it. Lovely layout you can almost smell the bread. Well Done Take Care

Graphicat said...

Hahahaaa! I love this Sarah!! Awesome job! Great use of papers matching your photos and well the subject is just awesome!
Hugs
Cheri

Peggysue said...

Great story and layout! Definitely want to remember that incident. Maybe not...Thanks for shining in our SHINE ON challenge at DYSU this week. Good luck in the draw!

Miranda said...

funny story Sarah and your scraplayout is fantastic
thanks for joining the DYSU challenge this week
hugs
Miranda

Random Acts of Krafting said...

Love your creativity. Thanks for playing with SIT this week.
Hugs
Tanya

Anonymous said...

Very clever use of the foil. This LO is superb! Thanks for sharing your wonderful creation with us this week at Frosted Designs.

Hugs,
Kristin

Tanya S said...

LMAO this still cracks me up.Love the layout..and tinfoil??Girl your too creative!!

Scrapamum said...

I want a loaf of your bread. It looks soooooo good. I still haven't mastered the art of bread. I use a bread machine (but don't tell anyone) ; )
Love your layout.
Thanks for playing along with us at These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things.
Andrea

Dawnll said...

What a fun layout- and I love the story!
My favorite mixer and color -I have also.
Thank you for joining us this week at
sketches In Thyme
Hope you come back real soon.

ruth said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm.....you are making me hungry for fresh homemade bread. :) Adorable layout!!!

Thanks for taking the Recycle challenge at Frosted Designs!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

LOL LOL LOL!! That is one funny story!! And I loveeeeeeee that you took photos and scrapped it!! This is AWESOME! I love love love love the distressing and loveeeeeeeee the circles! Thanks sooooooooooo much for playing along with FAVE THINGS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

tiffany said...

oh i am in LOVE with this layout!!! I have the same mixer, I am now inspired to take a few pics of it in action! Thanks for joining in the challenge at Sketches In Thyme! =) Tiffany DT

Joni Parker said...

Great story... so great that you remembered to take pics when it happened!! Your layout is gorgeous!! Thanks for joining us at Sketches in Thyme.

Fern said...

How funny!!! Cute story and I love how you scrapped it!! Now you've made me hungry for some fresh homemade bread!!:o) May have to get my breadmaker out and start her up!!!lol Love the read letters!!! Thanks for playing along with us over at Sketches In Thyme!! Hugs!!!

Lynnda said...

Hello Sarah... thanks for the love...
Great story and layout...Thanks for sharing...love this... hugs...xoxo

Kristina-Nicole said...

I found the link to your blog via Passionately Artistic through their Spring Break Linking Party.

Wow! I love your work! Thanks for sharing.

You can find me at www.kristinanicoleblog.blogspot.com
to say hello! :)

xo,
Kristina-Nicole

Eulanda said...

OMG I'm so glad you finally made a page with this!! I remember you posting about what you did when this happened and thinking I can't wait to see the pictures. This is HILARIOUS! Great job on the page tho and I really like this layout. ha ha luv it!

Pearl Maple said...

Sweet page, like your choice of papers as well

Jessica Navarro said...

Great LO! It has so much dimension and is simply adorable!