Saturday, July 28, 2012

Acetate Flower Tutorial


Happy Sunday everyone!!
 Sarah here with a fun flower tutorial for you! This is a really photo heavy post, but stay with me, I promise it's worth it :)

Okay, all you need for this is some old packaging (I usually use the packaging from the Sizzix Bigz dies), some sand paper, an embossing folder of your choice, a flower die that will cut acetate and some paint! 


Cut the acetate to fit over the die surface.


Use your Vagabond (hopefully...lol or other die cutting machine) to cut the flower. Steele rule dies will cut acetate. You might be able to cut a shape from the thinner dies if it's a very simple shape, or it will give it a trace kind of for you to hand cut.


Put the acetate into the embossing folder...


Then run it through your die cutting machine again...


 And when you open up your embossing folder...you get this very pretty flower that you could totally use on it's own as a cool embellishment...but I'm not finished yet...lol


For the first one I made, I used just one colour. Now, you can paint either side you want to, it just depends on what look you're going for. For this one, I painted the debossed side. Make sure you get all the paint into the recessed areas.


Let it dry (this part is extremely hard for me to do, because you have to let it air dry...if you use a heat gun, you'll lose your embossing and warp the acetate...I have no patience at all...but it's totally worth it. Once it's dry, sand the paint off, and you're left with just the paint that's in the debossed areas!


Isn't it pretty?! 



I couldn't get the pink colour that I wanted for the layout that I wanted to make though...so I thought I'd show you another way you can do these flowers too.

 For this flower, I painted the debossed side yellow....


Then I painted the other side a light greeny blue colour...waited painfully for it to dry, then sanded the blue to reveal the yellow underside! Fun isn't it?!


When I made the blue/yellow flower, I made sure to make more than one...then I used some on this layout:


 There's a couple small ones peaking out from behind the rosette


 And another one tucked into that fun little embellishment cluster on the bottom photo.


I used this sketch from Boys Rule Scrapbook Kits for this layout





You could use this technique for a lot of different die cuts....you could also just cut a piece of acetate in a square and create a fun transparency type with this technique. I hope you're inspired to go and get messy with paints and make some fun embellishments!

Happy Scrapping!! 

Sarah





8 comments:

Hill Top Creations said...

I like it a lot.. well done will have to give this a try.. love the layout as well.. Take Care

Nancy said...

That's an awesome flower, great tutorial :)

Roxy said...

Hey, this is great, I just made some flowers using acetate on my last card, but I never thought to do the embossing. Very cool!!!!

Lynnda said...

WOW ...thanks for sharing Sarah... Great embossing job!!! Gorgeous blooms...Your layout is cute and stunning!!! Hugs...xoxo

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Great tutorial Sarah. That die is on my list. I keep all that packaging too. The layout is adorable too.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeeeeee those flowers!! Very cool!! And loving your lo too!!! LOVING the colors, the design and love love love love love the shells!!!!!

Unknown said...

great layout, love the shells and fab tutorial!

Dani Donner said...

What a cool tutorial! And your take on the sketch is so beautiful! The funky colours go really well with the pictures. Thanks for playing along with Boys Rule!